So I got to the gym 40 minutes before my class started today so I decided to have a coffee and read the gym newspaper. I came across a very interesting article at the bottom of page 2 about BMI's and a new way of recording whether someone needs to loose weight. Here's what you do:
Forget the scales, all you need is a tape measure to get a true test of your weight.
1. Chest – Measure the full circumference of your upper torso passing over your nipples.
2. Waist – Measure the distance around your middle in line with your navel
3. Hips – Measure your hips – the distance around your jeans line, passing over your hip bones
1. Divide the waist reading by the hip reading
2. Divide the waist reading by chest reading
Both numbers will fall in one of the ranges below:
Underweight – 0.8 – 0.9
Good weight – 0.9 – 1.0
I myself am underweight according to my hips and a good weight according to my chest. I may have the best part of 60 lbs to get to goal but hey ... my waist is smaller than my hips, I must be skinny!